Integrated Solid Waste Management
Earth Day Celebration April 23rd
Bourne will be celebrating Earth Day on Saturday, April 23rd from 9 a.m. until noon. Tours of the entire ISWM Department facility will be conducted. Additionally, the Recycling Committee will host information tables at Dorothy’s Swap Shop that will include details on the upcoming single stream recycling program. There will also be some giveaways for children, light refreshments and displays of a composter, a rain barrel and a curbside recycling cart.
Worried about the massive oil spill in California in 1969, Senator Gaylord Nelson of Wisconsin organized a "national teach-in on the environment" in schools and colleges which became known as Earth Day 1970. For more information on Earth Day, visit http://www.earthday.org/.
Notice regarding curbside recycling
Recyclables no longer need to be separated. Please note that DPW crews may use a variety of trucks to collect the mixed stream, including the yellow packers. The department is working on labeling trucks when they are collecting recyclables.
Notice to C&D Transfer Station Customers
The C&D Transfer Station may be closed frequently because of market conditions that prevent removal of stockpiled loads on a regular basis. This in turn limits our ability to manage incoming loads.
Customers are advised to call the Scale House at 508-759-0639, beginning at 7 AM, to see if the facility will be open that day and if so, for how long.
ISWM management is working diligently with haulers and processors in the region to alleviate this situation. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience.
Notice to Landfill Customers
The Town has shifted the business model for the landfill whereby it utlizes almost all of the allowable daily tonnage for disposal of municipal waste combustor ash under a contract with Covanta SEMASS. The remaining daily tonnage is used for household trash from Bourne and from the Town of Falmouth under a contract. On a limited basis and depending on the available capacity, other materials such as soils may be accepted. Unfortunately, we no longer accept motorboats, sailboats and RVs for disposal. Local hauling companies and boatyards are good sources for information on disposal options.
Welcome to the webpage for the Department of Integrated Solid Waste Management (ISWM.) ISWM has had, and will continue to have, a large impact on the affairs of the Town of Bourne. Many questions have been asked about its operations and how they affect residents. We recognize these concerns and are committed to providing the residents of Bourne with the information they seek. One way in which we hope to provide information to the community, is through the use of this webpage. Please explore the different sections to familiarize yourself with our operations.
Listed below are other ways to learn about what we do:
- Residents are encouraged to arrange for a tour of the facility and the opportunity to discuss any issues directly with ISWM management.
- ISWM management periodically has cable TV shows on Comcast channel 13 to provide updates to the community and show new footage of the site.
- Annually, ISWM conducts an open house at the facility. Please check this website and the local newspapers for an announcement about the next event.
- ISWM has been and will continue to be available for speaking engagements at civic organizations, clubs, and business groups.
- ISWM staff periodically appears before the Board of Selectmen, Board of Health, Finance Committee, Capital Outlay Committee and the ISWM Landfill Business Model Working Group. Check posted meeting agendas to see if ISWM is scheduled to attend.
- Finally, we encourage you to read items listed in the “Reports & Documents” section of this website. Included there are several presentations that provide detailed information about our operations and plans.
We hope you find the information on this site useful and look forward to continuously improving its content. Please feel free to contact me 508-759-0651, or by email if you have any questions or comments.
- 2016 Residential Recycling Center Policy
- Household Hazardous Waste
- ISWM Operations
- ISWM Overview
- Landfill Odor Issues
- Online Payments
- Open House & Earth Day Celebration 2016
- Open House 2016
- Rain Barrels 2016
- Recycling & Composting
- Recycling Articles
- Recycling in Bourne
- Reports & Documents
Residential Recycling Center off-season schedule
(Labor Day to Memorial Day)
Open Wednesday - Monday, 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Closed on Tuesdays and all legal holidays
Note: Residents from other towns must follow the guidance listed here. We cannot accommodate customers after noon on Saturdays or at all on Sundays.
Landfill and C&D Transfer Station Hours
Monday - Friday: 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM
No brush, yard waste or ABC after 3 PM or Tuesday (off-season)
Saturday: 7:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Closed on all legal holidays