

**Community Preservation Committee
Meeting Minutes
November 16, 2015**

PRESENT: Barry Johnson, Daniel Doucette, George Sala, Andrew Cooney, Fred Bartholomew, Penny Myers, Richard Anderson

EXCUSED: Peter Holmes, Neil Langille

ALSO PRESENT: Scott Fitzmaurice, Barbara Fitzmaurice, Ed Donohue, Matt Cipriani

Recording Clerk, Ann Gratis

B. Johnson called the meeting to order at 6:32pm.

B. Johnson: We are taking the Jackson Field track out of order and putting it first. There will be no vote tonight. There is going to be a special town meeting on Feb. 8, 2016. We can put this on the warrant.

Ed, George Sala, Jon Nelson are working with Gale Assoc.

Ed: We would like to go out to bid in early February with construction to start in late May. It's a whole summer project if we do option 2. Graduation would have to be indoors. We'd lose another year if we wait. Gale has done a study of the whole track. Tracks are only meant to last 20-25 years. This was built in 1993.

Option 1: Minimal, remove/replace surface only. It's now a safety issue for track meets. \$337,800 including a fence.

Option 2: remove surface, redo 1-2" of the asphalt, add a new base and surface and fence, work on the long jump, triple jump and high jump areas.

D. Anderson: Do they give a guarantee on the life of the track?

Ed: 8-12 years for option 1, 20 for option 2. This is from his experiences, basically double the life.

D. Anderson: Why not going all the way to the base?

G. Sala: Would cost close to \$1 million. The track will need preventative maintenance once it goes down. With option 2 it will have to be crack sealed in 6-8 years. We can put mats down for the ambulance at games. People won't be allowed on the track with cleats.

P. Myers: Is there no tentative funding in the school budget?

Ed: No capital budget for this, building repairs, etc run about \$100,000 a year as it is.

F. Bartholomew: If option 2, do we need to borrow funding to pay for it? How will it affect other potential projects?

B. Johnson: I will get into that later. But yes, for 5 years. We'll be ok with all projects.

D. Anderson: if only taking an inch off, how will it fix the heaves?

Ed: That's why we want option 2. There will be a 2-4 week curing time for the asphalt before surfacing.

G. Sala: the DPW can do some things to save money.

B. Johnson: This was a preliminary meeting. Maybe we can have Gale Assoc. and a large plan at another meeting. Back in the spring when we were first discussing this, Andy talked about doing a larger bathroom. That would add considerable cost, maybe do it in the future. We could propose the track for the 2/8/16 STM.

Hoxie

Matt Cipriani, representative for the Town and was involved with the new DPW.

B. Johnson: When Hoxie incurs bills, Matt and Jon process them then give to me to pay. Some money does have to be moved around if things cost more/less.

Matt: Work going as planned for budget year 1. The last 6-8 weeks have really picked up. Some fire suppression money had to go to the removal of hazardous materials and that wasn't in the budget. The work was done in a safe manner by licensed contractors and I'm comfortable with how it was done.

Scott: We are working with local contractors, Green Environmental. It's a positive process, if it takes extra time, fine. We want to see us open next year. Put some money in abatement and having great luck with contractors. \$25,000 for fire alarm system, 20 motion detectors and lights (LED). The gas line and boiler were installed, some pipes are blowing steam and need to be fixed. Painting is done. The septic system plan is in place. We are hoping to open up the gym first but need ramps and a chair lift. My mom is working on a big grant and now that we have the deed, we can apply for more grants. We are actually ahead of schedule from the original time line. We would like to request \$328,000 + \$90,000 + \$88,000. Eventually will have classes to midnight so people can have time to go to school. Campus here for GED, she wants to be in by September. Have to give credit to Allie for her STEAM (science & technology, engineering, art, math) program that she has brought to Bourne schools.

Barbara: We've had numerous requests from groups to meet here because the override didn't pass. It's been great having Matt work with us.

F. Bartholomew: Any requests by the COA to use the building?

Scott: Felice wants to work with us to access another part of town and make services more accessible. They will do the programs that already work.

P. Myers: How many rooms are available to rent to a college campus?

Scott: We need the elevator and chairlift for flexibility. They're interested in the basement rooms. We need at least one elevator or ramp. Hoping the CPC will approve the larger money amount. We want it done by June so we can open in September. Plans for a top floor buildout in the future.

Matt: May want to investigate the variance now – preexisting/non-conforming building/use.

Scott: Amelia Peabody grant is \$100,000 exclusive for the elevator. The foundations want to support it, we met with the Cape Cod Foundation last week.

F. Bartholomew: Are we still concerned about his grants vs CPC?

B. Johnson: It's being strictly adhered to.

A. Cooney: I work for the DEP and there was a concern for asbestos, the latest plan came across my desk. I asked to recuse myself on the DEP level from this project. Some rooms didn't have asbestos, can you clarify?

Scott: Eagle sprinkler/Green Environmental are not working together. Looked at our attachment There are 8 ceilings and ended up taking down 4 and replaced with new products so they can go in and attach. Places were marked out. We are meeting with bot so we can have an idea where we go and when it will be done. The other 4 classrooms and the gym don't have anything in the ceilings. Green Environmental will abate in eth connection areas.

B. Johnson: 2015 there is a \$65,000 unencumbered balance. Working on 2016 - \$206,000 for egress, architectural services, and climate control.

Matt has been a great help for all. Now things are happening. They have a 5 year plan.

Scott: We have combined years 3-5 as the entrance needs to be moved to better serve and the elevator location, etc.

P. Myers: How soon are the MA Cultural and Peabody grants? If not, what happens?

Scott: We'll get it done. We have hired a fundraiser and she needs to raise \$50,000 by February. We have several other grant requests that we are working on. We have a backup plan.

Barbara: We are always pursuing other grants.

Scott: MA Cultural has nothing anywhere near Sagamore Beach for this type project. We want to see more local donors.

B. Johnson: Thinking about combining years 3-5 it makes sense.

Matt: Yes. Take grants out as they don't exist yet but need to get an elevator now.

Scott: It's all about the access now. February Town Meeting would be better for us to get work done sooner.

D. Doucette: If February doesn't work can we do the May STM so the money will be available the next day and not July?

B. Johnson: Yes

A. Cooney: Can we put a general dollar figure on the services/programs the town groups have ask you to do?

Matt: Money is being spent in a way that works. It's encouraging to see. A report was done by Fuss & O'Neil and came back negative in many areas.

A. Cooney: If any classrooms are used for educational purposes for K-12, they need asbestos guidelines. Will need an O&M plan. I suggest having a meeting every other week to keep everyone on the same page.

Matt: There is no GC on board. Doing one trade at a time and there isn't a lot of overlap. I know they meet with the contractors, it's not my responsibility. I make sure they follow their work plan.

B. Johnson: Jon Nelson has been heavily involved with the project. If we feel it's necessary to review and expand Matt's contract we can and will. The sign is excellent.

Matt: There were red flags but now in good shape. Watch for the elevator and bathroom installation that could push them off track. Probably run into asbestos with removals and need to account for that.

Buzzards Bay Park

B. Johnson: update – Coreen issued an RFP for the design. She had 30-40 people and narrowed to 9. Currently negotiating with a firm.

G. Sala: MSSC (Main St. Steering Committee) gave them a plan. One firm brought in different ideas. The overall plan will have electrical and irrigation upgrades in the spring/summer. Just need a plan set in place for the irrigation. The archway in Phase 1 is for the spring. One engineering firm has a very aggressive schedule and may be able to do some electrical in-house. Will be drilling a well and need a survey of what's in the ground now. There are some lights missing. The splash pad/skating rink: some concerns with the synthetic ice.

Schedule

- Dick Conron went to the Historical Commission about the war memorial at town hall as it's deteriorating. Steps made with cement blocks, not marble or granite.
- Dehumidification system at the Archives building.
- Easement at Aptuxcet to Lyons.

B. Johnson: We will put a couple on the February STM. I want updates on different projects from the different groups. Example: Cape View Way for housing.

D. Doucette made a MOTION to adjourn. The MOTION was seconded by G. Sala with all in favor.

With no further business before the Committee, the meeting was adjourned at 8:06pm

Respectfully submitted,
Ann Gratis