Special Events

Special Events

The Town of Bourne welcomes and celebrates events in our community that promote the mission and strategic goals of the Town.

Whether considering a small or large event on town owned properties, facilities or public ways, or on private property, each village offers unique opportunities to complement and enhance an event, which the Select Board is committed to encouraging and supporting.

With streamlined processes to consistently reflect community expectations while offering effective and efficient service to event organizers, the Select Board has adopted procedures designed to demonstrate responsive navigation through the permitting journey aimed at producing a positive experience from start to finish for special events and uses of Town owned property.

All bookings for special events, such as festivals, runs/walks, parades, block parties, car washes and holiday celebrations that take place on public property are initiated within the Town Administrator's Office. 

Special Events are defined as temporary leisure, social, community or cultural experiences external from routine or licensed programs, occurring indoors or outside, open to the public or private, for people to participate through invitation, tickets or general admission, and either at a cost or free to attend.

The Special Events and Use of Town Property policy and procedures is a great starting point when planning an event in the Town of Bourne. 

Click here to view the Special Events and Use of Town Property Policy & Procedures


Not sure what else you need for your event or where to begin with planning? 

Click here to submit an Inquiry Form.

Green EventsGreen Event Logo

Supporting the Select Board’s environmental commitment, and protecting our community’s quality of life, events on town property are encouraged to integrate environmentally responsible best practices and strategies within said event, to champion and increase awareness through aligned objectives.

Click here to learn more about how your event on town property can qualify and benefit as green!

Requests to use town property

Special events that are looking to utilize town property can now fill out an application online! Click here to enter Online Permitting and select the “Special Event” tab. Please complete the application that matches your type of event. If you don't see one for your event fill out the application called "General Use Town Property Application".

Events include, but are not limited to:

Beach Clean UpsBlock PartiesCar Washes
Community EventsFairs/FestivalsFarmers Markets
FilmingParadesRoad races/walks/cycling
Toll BoothsVendor Events 

All events must be approved by the Select Board, which only meets twice a month. Consider the meeting schedule and potential processing time by relevant departments before submitting your application. There are no exceptions to the Board meeting frequency.

 Certain events taking place at Buzzards Bay Park may also require an additional permit from the US Army Corps of Engineers. Based on your event application, you will be notified if you are required to apply with them. Additionally, all events held are required to upload a site plan and safety plan. Please note that electricity and restrooms are not available at every location. 

Requests to use outdoor recreation areas (such as ball fields, basketball courts, tennis courts) as well as any areas within the Community Center go through the Recreation Department. You can click here to visit their page. Requests to use facilities located at Bourne Public Schools are processed through the school department. Click here for more information.

Private Events

Private Events are defined in the Special Events Procedures as being closed off from the general public attending. Private events such as family celebrations (weddings, birthdays, graduations, reunions, celebrations of life, etc) or corporate meeting can occur on private or publicly owned property and can be free or at a cost and through invitation or ticket.

Currently the Town of Bourne does not offer any town owned areas for reservation or rentals to private events having 20 persons or less attending. Depending on the types of enhancements being included in the event, permits may not be required either. We advise event organizers to contact the Administration office, or submit an inquiry form to verify what steps are needed for the type of event, date, location etc.

Public Events of any size; or private events or family functions having twenty-one (21) or more persons attending said event requires a complete use of town property application to be filed and approved by the Select Board at a regularly scheduled meeting, in accordance with Section II.B. of the Special Events Procedures.

Looking to hold a wedding ceremony or similar event at a town beach?

Private events or family functions, as defined in Section I.C., involving a maximum of twenty (20) persons and no setup, can be held on any town owned beach without a use of town property permit.

Similar to the park, we do not offer any reservations or rentals of beach space and a "Use of Town Property Event Application" is not necessary. All town beaches remain open to the public at all times with no guarantee of space or privacy. Any event taking place at town beaches is subject to the town's parking sticker policy. Parking stickers may be required for certain locations. Please refer to the parking information page for more details.

Still have questions?

Fill out a Special Events Inquiry Form!

You cal also call the Administration office at 508-759-0600 x1503

or email Maria Simone at specialevents@townofbourne.com

We are here to help.

Staff Contacts