Abatements and Appeals

The taxpayer also has a formal right to file for an abatement of taxes, once the tax bills have been distributed. The taxpayer can file if he or she believes the property is over assessed, that it is not assessed fairly in comparison to other properties, or that it is not classified correctly by the Assessors. Information about this and the deadlines that must be met in filing an application for an abatement is available at local Assessors’ Offices.